Today I go first

One of the nice things about Saturdays, at least for me, is that I don’t set an alarm in the mornings. I get up when my body is done sleeping and this is always early enough. I make a cup of coffee, turn on the computer, and get to work checking e-mail messages. I am the first person in my household to get up and get a good 1 – 1.5 hours to myself in the morning on any given Saturday. This is the only time all week that I have completely to myself. Once my family I up, it’s time to make breakfast, help my daughter with school work, juggle the schedules of two working adults and on and on until the last e-mail is returned, the last lesson posted, the last dish is washed, the end of the night hits and it’s time to rest. I have been working on taking better care of myself and yet it didn’t hit me until yesterday that I am giving up the only time I have truly to myself to check my work e-mail. Yes, it is important to keep up with my work, but time to one’s self is beyond precious and checking e-mail messages doesn’t sound to me like the best use of it. So today, I decided to go first.

When I awoke, I pulled out a box of LEGO – a remote controlled car that I was supposed to make with my daughter but that ended up being too difficult for her. We abandoned it months ago. I spent the next 1.5 hours sitting at the dining room table, pieces sprawled out all over, completing it. It was genuinely fun and quite relaxing to sit there piecing it together. I waited to test it out until after my family had woken up. The car zipped around the apartment causing my daughter to squeal with joy when it came close to her. It was both fun to build and fun to drive. A truly rewarding start to the day. Oh, and those e-mail messages, in the end, they got checked anyway.