Half an Avocado

One of the things that sheltering in place has made me very aware of is how much food goes to waste. I am now incredibly aware of the expiration date on every item we own and the goal is to go through all the fresh fruits and vegetables before any of them end up in the trash. Cue the avocado. This little green berry (yup – you read that right) with an awful large seed makes its way into our home rather infrequently. My partner is the only one in our house that likes to eat avocados and never seems to finish a whole one. So I use my fancy avocado cutting/peeling/slicing tool (we love gadgets in this house) to carefully cut, peel and slice half an avocado putting it in a little plate on the dinner table way from the rest of us. The other half of the avocado normally sits in the fridge covered in plastic wrap where after a few days it inevitably ends up in the trash.

This would happen every single time with every single avocado – kind of makes me wonder why I would waste the plastic wrap and not just toss half the avocado in the trash from the start. A week ago I prepared half of an avocado, wrapped the other half in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. It stared at me every single time I opened the fridge. I could not bring myself to let it go to waste. So after two days I took it back out, chopped it into pieces, threw in some tomato, some mozzarella cheese, a little oil and a little vinegar. When we sat down to dinner that night I was pleased to hear “Wait, is this little salad just for me? Wow…thanks” and just like that the other half was saved!

1 thought on “Half an Avocado